The newly-erected Wesleyan Chapel situated on the South Cliff was opened for public worship on 2nd July 1886 in the presence of a large congregation.
The Rev. William Silcox, superintendent of the circuit, read the deed of registration by which the church was acknowledged as a place of worship. The President of the Conference, Rev. Richard Roberts, then conducted a Devotional Service and delivered the address in the New Church.