Dr. Rooke, who lived in the house at the top of the Dark Arch, formally known as Washbeck Lane erected a building nearby at the end of Love Lane, which housed his collection of archaeological specimens and astronomical telescopes. To enable him rapidly to focus his telescopes, he had implanted two enamel discs, which may have been the enamel faces from large watches, into the tower of South Cliff Methodist Church, then being built in Filey Road. The unusual design of his museum-com-observatory, inasmuch as it consisted of different levels and small battlemented tower, attracted from the public the new name of ‘Rooke’s Folly’, superceding its original name of ‘Sunshine Villa’. Love Lane itself became known as ‘Folly Lane’, but now has the respectable name of Westover Road.
Dr. Rooke himself came to Scarborough from Germany shortly after 1860 and professed to have gained his Doctor of Medicine training at Hamburg university. A large building opposite the Scarborough Railway Station was used by him as a place for the manufacture of medicinal products, the most popular of which was Dr. Rooke’s ‘Solar Elixir’. This basically consisted of refined cod liver oil. His other product was a pill guaranteed to cure numerous ailments of the times. These two products were advertised throughout the world and Dr. Rooke claimed testimonials from every corner of the globe. After the death of Dr. Rooke, Crosby the chemists put on the market ‘Bottled Sunshine’ to replace the ‘Solar Elixir’. These products were still marketed until the advent of the National Health Service. ‘Sunshine Villa’ was demolished in 1971 to make way for a housing project and Dr. Rooke’s house is now converted into flats. His ‘pill factory’ became the Wessex Hotel finally to be demolished in 1935 for road widening and part of the site is now occupied by the seating accommodation facing the railway station.